Simon Pavey’s Off Road Skills Course (High Country)
Ride / Rest day
Sealed / Dirt
0% / 100%
Mansfield, Victoria: Receive training from one of the worlds most experienced off road motorcycle riders
Compass Expeditions are thrilled to have world renown, Dakar Rally racer Simon Pavey and the Off Road Skills team conduct a motorcycling training school in Victoria's spectacular High Country. Simon has competed in 10 Dakar events thus far having completed an amazing 8 of them. The training weekend will be followed by an amazing 5 day motorcycle ride-out / tour with Simon as the ride leader where participants can practice what they have learnt. This is a unique training experience where you can learn from one of the world’s very best riders.
Adventure Maintenance Course
The day before the Off Road Skills Course, Simon Pavey will be running his Adventure Maintenance course. This one-day hands on workshop-based course will give you the skills, knowledge and confidence to carry out emergency repairs to keep you and your bike on the move. The Adventure Maintenance Course can be added to your Off Road Skill Course booking in the online booking form. For more information see trip extension details.
Please note: A Compass rental bike is not available if booking this course without the 5 day Australian Adventure as well,
Dates and Pricing
8th Dec 2023 to 11th Dec 2023
Rider / Bring your own bike.
Rider / BMW F 750 GS
Rider / BMW F 850 GS
Rider / BMW R 1250 GS
Optional Adventure Maintenance Course: This one-day hands on workshop-based course will give you the skills, knowledge and confidence to carry out emergency repairs to keep you and your bike on the move.
Day 1: Arrive in Mansfield and meet the Off-Road Skills and Compass Expeditions crew for your welcome dinner
Day 2: Learn from the worlds most experienced off road motorcycle riders
Day 3: Spend the day refining your off-road skills
Departure Day: Spend some time in Mansfield, fly home or join us for the 5-day ride out, the choice is yours.
All accommodation is twin or double share, if you would like a single room there will be a single supplement: AU$ 250
Our motorcycles are insured and have a damage excess of AU$ 5000, you can reduce the excess by taking advantage of our Excess Reduction Policy: AU$ 50 per day
Ride Details book now JOIN THE WAITLIST
The training course that Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman completed before their epic Long Way Round ride.
The Course is all off road and riders will be taught how to manage steep inclines, loose gravel and rocky surfaces which are all part of this training experience. Participants will learn all the essential skills to become a competent and safe off road rider.
Expect the daytime temperatures to range between 8-20ºC and overnight temperatures to range between 1-11ºC.
- All riders must have a valid motorcycle license and at least two years riding experience.
- It is a requirement that all clients have appropriate travel insurance for this type of activity.
Sealed / Dirt
0% / 100%
- 3 nights of accommodation
- All accommodation is on a twin share basis. If you are traveling alone we will pair you up with another solo traveler. However, if you prefer single accommodation a single supplement is available: A$ 275.00
- We include breakfast everyday: 3 Breakfasts
- On every day of the training we provide a picnic lunch that we prepare ourselves from our mobile kitchen: 2 Lunches
- All Dinners are included: 3 Dinners
book now JOIN THE WAITLIST
Accidents happen, luggage is lost and tour or flight cancellations can occur, so it is our policy that all participants of Compass Expeditions tours have an appropriate level of travel insurance to cover the unforeseen. This is not only compulsory when joining our tours, but it makes sense.
If choosing your own insurance – for motorcycle tours it is crucial the insurance policy you choose will offer a policy for riding a motorcycle OVER 250cc (including our bikes). This is a critical point to ensure when purchasing a policy.
Our experienced In-house travel team are happy to help with getting you the right insurance for your tour and for any other travel you might be doing before or after. Contact our in-house travel team.
Adventure Maintenance Course - For when there is no recovery truck.
- Learn essential bike repair skills
- Prepare your bike
- Ideal for anyone planning a big adventure
- Relevant to all makes of bike
- Checking oil and fluid levels
- Repairing oil and fuel leaks
- Dealing with water crossings - and what to do if they go wrong
- Replacing brake pads and components
- Fixing punctures
- How to jump start a bike
- Preparation and common preventative tips you may need for travelling
- Bike set-up, including controls and suspension
- Emergency refuelling
- Pre-ride safety checks
- Pre-travel service
- Use of Off Road Skills tools and equipment
- Dinner and twin share accommodation on Thursday night
- Breakfast, lunch and refreshments on the day of the course, Friday
- Personal motorcycle or accident insurance
- Evening drinks or additional meals