North West Passage
Northern Territory & Western Australia: Australia's premier long distance mixed surfaced adventure motorcycle tour, along the northern edge of the continent and via the haunting red centre
This is an amazing ride from the heart of Australia at Alice Springs, via the legendary Uluru, through a utterly empty landscape of mesas and craters of the renown Tanami Desert. Camping under the "Milky Way" are nights that will stay with us forever! Experience the absolute beauty of the Australian Outback on this intoxicating tour from the red centre through the wild escarpments of the immense Kimberley's en-route to Broome, stunningly located on the golden shores of the Indian Ocean.
This tour will run in 2023 with some modifications making it a Grade 3 ride. Contact us to express your interest and receive a notification when tour dates and prices are available.
Dates and Pricing
Day 1:Today you will meet your crew for the ride briefing and tour dinner
Day 2:Leaving “The Alice” today we ride via Stanley Chasm and the spectacular West MacDonnell Ranges for our overnight stop at Glen Helen Homestead, established in 1905.
Day 3:We hit the dirt today along the renowned Mereenie Loop before reaching the amazing Kings Canyon
Day 4 & 5:We ride through the stunning red sands landscape toward one of the world’s most iconic sights, Uluru. Two nights are spent here allowing us time to witness the stunning sunsets and explore Kata Tjuta, walk the perimeter of the rock or simply relax poolside
Day 6:We take a different route back to Alice Springs via Stuart Wells where if we are in luck we may see some camels
Day 7 & 8: We spend the next three days riding the across the 3rd largest Desert in Australia, known as the Tanami. This is wonderful remote riding along the Tanami Track with a visit to the 2nd largest Meteorite crate on earth at Wolfe Creek.
Day 9:Hitting the pavement again after 1000ks of dirt we arrive at Halls creek for a freshen up and a well deserved pub meal and a few beers / wines. We are now in the mighty Kimberley
Day 10:Riding north we reach the mighty Lake Argyle, a stunning sight of deep blue water contrasting with the deep reds of the surrounding landscape, sunset is something else.
Day 11 & 12:We ride into Kununarra then onto the legendary Gibb River Road through some awe-inspiring scenery. We spend 2 nights at the wonderful Home Valley Station allowing us time explore this beautiful section of the Kimberley's
Day 13:More dirt today, all day, as we ride west toward Derby. We overnight at Manning Gorge next to the superb swimming hole, a real oasis
Day 14:The end of the dirt is nigh as we reach Derby but not before checking out the remarkable Tunnel Creek National Park.
Day 15: Sadly our last day as we ride through a landscape of Baobab trees to the very shores of the Indian Ocean at Broome.
Departure day: Spend some time in Broome or fly home, the choice is yours.
- Airport Transfers
- Motorcycle rental as per your selection.
- Fuel for clients riding Compass bikes
- Support vehicle with passenger carrying ability
- 15 nights accommodation, hotels and camping
- 14 breakfasts
- 12 Lunches
- 6 Dinners
- Services of ride leader and support vehicle driver
- Pre-departure material and route maps
- Access to satellite phone, pay per minute
- Compass Expeditions polo shirt
- Entrances to all national parks mentioned in the itinerary
- Durack Homestead Excursion
- International Flights (if required)
- Visas (if required)
- Fuel if riding own bike
- Personal Health/Travel Insurance
- Tips and gratuities
All accommodation is twin or double share, if you would like a single room there will be a single supplement: AU$ 1,260.00 (Please note, you may be required to share a bathroom at least once on this trip).
Our motorcycles are insured and have a damage excess of AU$ 4000, you can reduce the excess by taking advantage of our Excess Reduction Policy: AU$ 25 per day
- All riders must have a valid motorcycle license and at least two years riding experience.
- It is a requirement that all clients have appropriate insurance for this type of expedition.
- 15 nights of accommodation.
- 12 nights in 3-4 star hotels and resorts and 3 nights remote camping
- A flexible attitude is needed, as services in these extremely remote regions of Australia may be not what you are accustomed to.
- All accommodation is on a twin share basis. If you are traveling alone we will pair you up with another solo traveler. However, if you prefer single accommodation a single supplement is available: AU$ 1,260.00 (please note that you may be required to share a bathroom at least once on this trip)
- On every day of the tour we include breakfast: 15 Breakfasts
- On mentioned ride days we provide a picnic lunch that we prepare ourselves from our mobile kitchen: 13 Lunches
- We include mentioned dinners in reliable restaurants we have used many times before: 6 Dinners
Accidents happen, luggage is lost and tour or flight cancellations can occur, so it is our policy that all participants of Compass Expeditions tours have an appropriate level of travel insurance to cover the unforeseen. This is not only compulsory when joining our tours, but it makes sense.
If choosing your own insurance – for motorcycle tours it is crucial the insurance policy you choose will offer a policy for riding a motorcycle OVER 250cc (including our bikes). This is a critical point to ensure when purchasing a policy.
Our experienced In-house travel team are happy to help with getting you the right insurance for your tour and for any other travel you might be doing before or after. Contact our in-house travel team.